Whether you’re going 15 minutes down the road or 15 hours across the country, traveling with kids can be difficult. However, Edwin believes that every moment together as a family can be a happy one. With Memorial Day Weekend coming up, Edwin the Duck would like to share with you his best tips for making family car rides a success!
As you start to plan your weekend, pause to read these 9 tips.
Pre-trip car prep:
- Having a trash bin in the car will make a huge difference by the end of the trip. It will keep the kids from wedging trash into various nooks and crannies before its eventual removal (and before its forgotten). Try making a DIY trashcan out of a plastic cereal container, the seal and pop-lid ensure that even wet messes and smells are contained.
- Put cupcake liners in cup holders to keep them from getting packed with grime, and easily change out the cups whenever you want.
- If you’re traveling with a child in diapers, put a disposable changing pad underneath them before placing them in the seat. This will save the car seat, and your nostrils, for the rest of the trip should an accident seep through their clothes.
- Repurpose a hanging shoe rack as a multi-pocket storage system and drape it behind the front seats. It lets kids give every knick-knack an easily accessible home.
- Always have paper towels, wet wipes and a few plastic bags in the car. They will always be put to use!
During the drive:
- Start the drive early in the morning so that the kids can sleep in the car. This will make the drive go by faster for everyone.
- Strategically plan breaks where the kids are able to run around for a bit before jumping back in the car again. Letting them burn off some energy will reduce any restless stress.
- Pack a lot of snacks to hold everyone over between meals - this will save both time and money!
- If it’s a really long car ride, make a surprise bag full of wrapped toys that they get to open at specific mile markers or hours in the car. This will give them something to look forward to during the trip other than the final destination. It can also be a great incentive for good behavior.
Of course the key to getting through any car ride is entertainment! Edwin is the perfect solution, packed with hours of educational songs, stories and interactive games for your children. Order Edwin the Duck online or pick him up from your local Apple Store.